Funky Moves is a movement activity group run by Lesley Murphy, our classroom assistant. Groups like this have been in existence in East Lothian for more than 20 years. Over the years many children have benefited from their inclusion in the programme. Some children have been included for a short time; others have been longer term. Lesley is fully trained and has many years of experience with this programme.
How are pupils chosen to join a group?
The children are included because they present some movement or co-ordination difficulties, or simply lack movement experience. Pupils are identified for groups in a number of ways:
- Request from parents
- Referral from occupational therapists or physiotherapists
- Referral from GPs
- Recommendation from school staff
- Observation at school
What are the benefits?
Inclusion in the group will:
- Help remediate the difficulties
- Improve self-esteem and confidence
- Highlight the need for further investigations or referral to other agencies
The children enjoy coming to sessions and, although working hard, have FUN.