Please click on the link to view the most recent newsletter.
This week we are starting work on learning about minibeasts. We will be learning about a different minibeast each day over the next 2 weeks. We are hoping to get outside to see what we can find in the playground and the garden!
We had a fantastic week last week and managed to get outside lots! Some of our highlights include:
- Doing various activities with the P1s and P2s. Each day we tried something different. We played games with the parachute, went on a scavenger hunt, practised our ball skills, got warm doing aerobics and worked on our balance with bean bags and eggs and spoons.
- We loved P6 coming over and reading to us in their cow print tent. They have let us keep the tent to use in our nursery playground.
- We went and listened for bird songs when we were learning about the dawn chorus.
- We read stories outside.
- We continued to practise for sports day.
As you are aware, at nursery we always like to spend lots of time outside. Being outside helps keep us healthy and lets us learn in different and often exciting ways.
This week is outdoor week at Pencaitland Primary. Our plan is to take our learning outside. Some of the events happening this week are:
- P6 are coming over to play outdoor maths and language games with us.
- The morning group are going to be doing some activities with the P1s and P2s.
- We are going to have a book picnic.
- We are going to have some snack outside
We are also celebrating International Dawn Chorus day. International Dawn Chorus Day is the worldwide celebration of nature’s daily miracles. It was officially celebrated last week but we thought we would delay it a week to fit in better with our outdoor week learning. As part of this we are hoping to go outside and listen for some bird song.
All of these activities are obviously weather dependent but we will try and do our best to get outside whatever the weather!
We have been learning how to use different tools at the work bench. So far we have been sawing and hammering. This week, as a continuation of this work, we are making model cars to tie in with our road safety work.
More DIY on PhotoPeach
Sawing 2 on PhotoPeach
We will post pictures of the finished cars later in the week.
This week we are learning about road safety. We will be reading stories about Ziggy which will help us learn about crossing the road safely. The junior road safety officers from Primary 7 will be coming over to visit us.
Parents: The following website lets you have a look at the ‘Ziggy’ resources which we use in nursery. It also has videos to watch and games to play.
Today we were learning how to use a saw.
Woodwork on PhotoPeach
We have been using the story of the 3 little pigs to help us learn about materials. Today we were trying to build a brick wall.
Building on PhotoPeach
The latest newsletter is now available if you click on the link below.
Monday 15th April is a holiday and nursery will be closed. We will reopen as usual on Tuesday 16th.